Monday, April 30, 2007

Sunset Rubdown, Katie Eastburn, and Evangelicals @ Hailey's

This Saturday at Hailey's in Denton Sunset Rubdown, along with tourmate Katie Eastburn and nearby Norman natives Evangelicals played an intimate show, lit entirely by themselves and to a small crowd.

Most of the crowd seemed to be hearing Evangelicals for the first time and I'm just not sure how convinced they were. I myself found their set a bit lacking, but when they played some of my favorite songs off of So Gone, I was really into their set. Their new material will have to grow on me after hearing its studio incarnation, but it sounded promising. Their faux foliage decorations on stage, smoke machine, and use of their own red and green lighting gave their performance an odd twist and set the night off right.

The tone that Evangelicals set was quickly turned into something a bit stranger (on a different level) when Katie Eastburn took the stage with nothing but a keyboard, glass of amber colored liquor (scotch?), kick drum, and table lamp on stage. I enjoyed her first few songs, but she played so many that they all started sounding the same as the set got longer. An album with 10-12 songs might be bearable, but what she played was just not interesting after a while. She played a Prince cover as her last song, so that brought up spirits a bit.

Sunset Rubdown seemed to be the reason that most, if not all of the people in the crowd were there, and that alone was cause for excitement. Any time one band is the sole focus of a crowd's attention, it adds to the allure of the show. One thing that I walked away from the show knowing is that Sunset Rubdown is in no way a Spencer Krug back-up band. Granted, he is the most talented pianist I have ever seen live. His piano playing on the album is great, but when you see how he plays what he does, you realize that its more than it may sound like. Anyway, back to my previous point. They really all are some incredibly talented musicians. The drumming, guitar riffs, and percussion played by each of the other members of the band was pretty incredible to see all put together right in front of me on Hailey's small stage. They played through some of my favorite songs off of Shut Up I Am Dreaming, as well as some very good sounding new material (which makes me kick myself for not picking up their new EP).

The band handled some drunk hecklers (a staple at Hailey's shows) pretty well. Here's a basic rundown of the incident:

Heckler: "FAGGOT!!!"
Krug: "The gayer you think I am, the more fun I'm having." Followed by heavy laughter by most of the crowd and several responses like "Don't judge us based on those idiots," and "That's what they do!" in reference to the hecklers having no lives.

Krug (later): "You're going to love this one..." directed back at the heckler(s) before playing Us Ones In Between.

Their performance will probably end up on my End of the Year list. SO, here is the set list, with serious additions that need to be made. I'm not sure if the songs that I don't know are new or old, but I do know that most of them were new songs.

1. Snakes Got A Leg III
2. Shut Up I Am Dreaming of Places Where Lovers Have Wings
3. (New Song)
4. Us Ones In Between
5. (New Song)
6. (New Song?)
7. (Not Sure- New? Old?)
8. Stadiums and Shrines II
9. "This is a kind of new one...Well, it is a new one."
10. The Empty Threats of Little Lord
----------Encore----------
11. New?
12. New?


Evangelicals









Katie Eastburn


Sunset Rubdown




















1 comment:

eyetoeye said...

Snakes got a leg III
Us Ones in Between
Three colours (old)
clusterfuck (new)
Burning out your eyes (new)
Winged/Wicked Things (old)
March (new)
Shut up, Im Dreaming Where Lovers have Wings
Stadiums and Shrines II
The Empty Threats of Little Lord
Physical World (new)
Stallions(get away from me) (new)

the order is prolly a little screwy but those are the names of all the sunset rubdown songs. I think all of them except for stallions are floating around the internet in the forms of bootlegs.

But yea the show was sooo goood. Nice pics by the way. I think i remember you taking them in the middle. ha, well cya.