Wednesday, February 07, 2007

If You're a Witch Then I'm a Wizard: Hogwarts, Here I Come!

While perusing the Astralwerks website, record label home to such acts as Air, Sparkelhorse, Beth Orton, Sondre Lerche and Badly Drawn Boy, to name a few, I recently stumbled upon Yoko Ono's artist page. Having assumed she had either disappeared into the murky depths of discarded pop culture icons, or had simply become a hermit somewhere, I was thoroughly surprised and intrigued by news of her February 6th full-length release, entitled ONO "Yes, I'm a Witch." Even more intriguing is the star-studded cast of collaborators, ranging from The Flaming Lips to Le Tigre and from the Apples in Stereo to Cat Power, with some Spiritualized, Peaches, and Polyphonic Spree thrown in there (plus more).


While I've never personally been a huge fan of Yoko Ono's work, either musical, visual, written, performance or otherwise, I can't help but have respect for someone that devoted to the arts in general, or at least, whatever her perception of the arts is. One way or the other, it's good to see someone still doing what they love, and having the validation of contributing (albeit much younger) artists. Oh Yoko.


Tracklisting:
1. Witch Shocktronica Intro / Hank Shocklee
2. Kiss Kiss Kiss / Peaches
3. O'Oh / Shitake Monkey
4. Everyman Everywoman / Blow Up
5. Sisters O Sisters / Le Tigre
6. Death Of Samantha / Porcupine Tree
7. Rising / DJ Spooky
8. Nobody Sees Me Like You Do / The Apples In Stereo
9. Yes I'm A Witch / The Brother Brothers
10. Revelations / Cat Power
listen - win | real
11. You And I / Polyphonic Spree
12. Walking On Thin Ice / Jason Pierce of Spiritualized
13. Toyboat / Antony of Antony And The Johnsons and Hahn Rowe
14. Cambridge 1969/2007 / The Flaming Lips
listen - win | real
15. I'm Moving On / The Sleepy Jackson
16. Witch Shocktronica Outro / Hank Shocklee
17. Shiranakatta (I Didn't Know) / Craig Armstrong

No comments: