Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Day 5

Day 5 (Thanksgiving) was probably my favorite day of the whole trip. I feel a little bad, putting one day above others, but this day was remarkable. It was my first Thanksgiving away from immediate family, but I think it is safe to say that these people are all now a part of mine.

We had brunch at the school. It was pretty nice. I had three un-toasted, cinnamon raisin English muffins for breakfast. There was also a lot of pineapple (the apple of pines) and I had a bowl. After brunch, we went back up to the trailer and recorded some more of the Room Sound record. I've heard some of the tracks (I have them all, but I just haven't listened yet) and they sound good. They still need some mastering and other work, but I think this record is going to be good.

Being that it was Thanksgiving and Paul was away from his family, he felt that it was necessary to continue at least one tradition and watch the Cowboys game. After tons of refusal on my part, Helen and Mary Anne finally convinced me to go down with them to watch it. The guy who was in the computer lab, listening to Eminem on full blast was there and I sat right behind him. Someone had a bird there, that would walk around and sit on your finger. It didn't sit on mine, but it would have loved me anyway. It seemed to like Helen but it did yell at her a lot. Everyone laughed.

After we watched some of the game with Paul, we went back up to the trailer and got ready to go to Ventura for Thanksgiving. I'm glad that it wasn't formal. I'm also very glad that it was with these people. Really. I rode with Joseph, Helen, and Maria P. On the way there we sang some Animal Collective and stopped to get some flowers for Mrs. M. (sorry, I don't know how to spell these last names. It was a pretty short drive, but I wouldn't have cared if it hadn't been. We drove on the Korean War Veterans Memorial Highway. There were a lot of orange groves between us and there.

I loved it as soon as we got there. Their house is so nice. Not nice as in, wow they must be lawyers and doctors, but its nice in the way a house should be. They have so many kids, and all of them are really nice. I was surprised that their mother remembered my name when I would talk to her later on during dinner.

After meeting everyone, we decided that it would be a great idea to play soccer on the football field across the street from their house. I'm not saying that it wasn't but I think everyone was a little too sweaty right before dinner. I'm just sayin'. Anyway, we played Brazilian style and I was on Team Thanks , and we played Team Buttstick. We lost, but I scored two goals and Helen was an excellent goalie (even though we weren't supposed to have them). Everyone on my team showed great potential.

Dinner was pretty good. Max ( I think that is his name) and I had a roll eating contest, and we tied at three each. He thought he could beat me, but I'm better than he expected. Mrs. M thought I was looking for beers. People were throwing up gang signs. After dinner, we took things into the garage where most of us played foosball. I scored a goalie shot, and I can't remember if we ended up winning or not. We probably did now that I think about it. Helen read from a book about knights and medieval times and things like that. John wore an Asian hat, and I still had my head-dress on, from Melissa from the Mitten State.

Paul and one of the M. girls (I know her name, I just can't spell it) wrote a story called The Turkey That Exploded. I would tell you what happend, but everyone dies in the end, and that's about all that you need to know. Its hilarious. She has other stories, about a walrus, and one about a whale. They both end amazingly as well. John played Maria P. in a heated ga,e of ping-pong. I swear she wins every time. I also played her, and I also lost. I don't think anyone can beat her. Watch out Gump.

The M.'s were writing out what they were thankful for, and I thought they were pretty funny. One of them mentioned something about " Chris T. Columbus" and I really enjoyed that. Take that history! Well, most of what we think about Columbus is generally wrong anyway. We sang songs with everyone in the livingroom, and most of them I knew but didn't know. You know. Before dinner, Paul and I had discussed how we wanted to jump in the Pacific since we never had, and what a better time than Thanksgiving night. Right? Yes.

After leaving their house, we all drove out to the coast, which wasn't too far. On the way there, everyone prepared to keep me warm, considering that it was 56 degrees. There was a blanket in the back of Maria's car, and Helen gave me her big sweat pants. When we got to the beach I got out of my clothes and everyone took pictures. I started to run for it and they all told me to wait. Helen told me that my heart would stop when I hit the water because it would be too cold. I have to say that it was the coldest water I've ever been in. It was much colder than it was outside, which was already really cold all by itself. When I came out of the water (I didn't get all the way in like Paul did) I ran right past the blanket, but I eventually remembered, because everyone was screaming at me. It was pretty nice. Paul left his wallet at the beach, but they eventually found it.

After we got back to the college, I got dry and then they recorded some trumpet for the record. It sounded pretty good. Everyone in the room recorded a vocal track for one of the songs on the album, and it didn't sound all that great. We will probably re-do it later, but it was funny. Maria, Maria, Paul, and myself all went down to the ping-pong room, but some people were being pong-nazis so we played foosball. I dont think we kept score, but it was funny.

















No comments: